Panelo tells Kapa scam victims to file cases: Kung gusto niyo makuha pera niyo!
Malacañang on Tuesday urged victims of a scam perpetuated by the religious group Kapa Community Ministry International Inc. to file charges.
“Those defrauded will have to file cases against this owner, and they can recover. They will have to file criminal and civil suits,” Presidential Spokesperson Panelo said in a Palace briefing.
“Kung gusto mo makuha ang pera mo ulit, siyempre you should file,” he added.
But Kapa executives claimed that there has been no complaints filed by any of its followers against the Surigao del Sur-based group because it claimed all of them were getting their promised returns – 30 percent month for life on their “donations.”
In a “Give us this Day” TV guesting in Davao City last week, President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the shutdown of Kapa which was allegedly involved in pyramiding schemes.
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) earlier flagged Kappa for allegedly soliciting investments in the form of donations and at a monthly interest rate of 30 percent.
Panelo brushed aside claims made by Kapa’s lawyer Pastor Koel Apolinario accusing Kingdom of Jesus Christ (KOJC) head Pastor Apollo Quiboloy of instigating Duterte’s crackdown on the investment scheme.
“The issue is: Has this particular entity defrauded those who invested? That’s the issue,” Panelo said.
He said Palace was ready to order the closure of firms offering similar investment schemes.
“Kapag nalaman nating mayroong mga ganiyan, diy dapat talagang ipasarado because it’s a continuing crime of estafa,” Panelo said. (PNA)