Guevarra mum over Faeldon’s fate in BuCor

Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter

Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Sunday remained mum over speculations that the appointment of retired Lt. Gen. Milfredo Melegrito as deputy director of the controversy-ridden Bureau of Corrections was a prelude in replacing BuCor chief Nicanor Faeldon.

“I have no personal information on that matter. As the appointing authority, the President alone can answer that. For now, these talks remain as speculations,” Guevarra said in a message to reporters.

He issued the statement following the announced appointment of Melegrito amid the controversy over the release of prisoners on good behvaior.

But Guevarra said that Melegrito was considered to the post even before the issue on the good conduct time allowance started dominating the headlines.

“I do not know him personally and I’m not sure if I’ve met him before. I believe he was considered for appointment as deputy director of BuCor even before the GCTA controversy blew up,” Guevarra said.

The issue on the good conduct time allowance started after former Calauan mayor Antonio Sanchez was supposed to be released from prison last week.

This was because of a new law increasing the GCTA of prisoners (Republic Act 10592), and a recent Supreme Court decision applying this law retroactively.

Sanchez was convicted for the 1993 rape and murder of University of the Philippines Los Baños students Eileen Sarmenta and Allan Gomez.

The verdict was handed down on March 11, 1995 by Judge Harriet Demetrio who said that the rape and murder of Sarmenta and Gomez were “a plot seemingly hatched in hell.”

The SC upheld the Laguna regional trial court ruling in 1999 against Sanchez, who is currently serving his sentence of seven terms of reclusion perpetua at the New Bilibid Prisons in Muntinlupa City.

Copyright © 2019 Abogado - Latest News in the Philippines