Guevarra hints elevating judge’s refusal to issue warrant vs Trillanes to SC
Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra on Monday hinted that the government may bring to the Supreme Court a lower court ruling junking the Department of Justice’s motion to issue an arrest warrant against Sen. Antonio Trillanes IV.
“The lower court’s verdict opens an opportunity for the High Court to “forge a new judicial principle,” Guevarra said.
“This is just the beginning, this is not the end, nobody has to claim total victory here, umpisa pa lang ito,” he continued.
In explaining his ruling, Makati regional trial court Branch 148 Judge Andres Soriano pointed out that the same court in 2011 had already dismissed Trillanes’ coup d’etat charges, and such decision “has become final and executory.”
The judge said that he just merely accomdated the Supreme Court order to review the case.
“He made that ruling because he has no jurisprudence to go by…It’s not always the case that you must back up your arguments with decided cases because there will always be a first time wherein new and novel issues will be presented to the Supreme Court,” Guevarra said.
See related story: