GMA starlet Migo Adecer acquitted of simple disobedience over hit-and-run incident

Follow by Email
Facebook
Facebook
Twitter

The Makati City court has acquitted GMA-7 starlet Migo Adecer of simple disobedience in connection with a March 26 hit-and-run incident in which the police had to chase his car.

In a recent 7-page decision, Metropolitan Trial Court (MeTC) Branch 64 Assisting Judge Catherina Manzano cited the “failure of the prosecution to prove the guilt of the accused beyond reasonable doubt.”

Adecer, whose real name is Douglas Errol Dreyfus Adecer, hit the motorcycle of two Metropolitan Manila Development Authority (MMDA) personnel in Barangay Poblacion.

He allegedly sped up along J.P. Rizal Street while being chased by authorities. When authorities caught up with him, Adecer allegedly refused to get out of his vehicle and even reversed it to hit the police mobile car that followed it.

The court, however, said the policemen themselves admitted that Adecer went with them to their office and went through a medical examination at Ospital ng Makati (OsMak), belying the allegation that he defied authorities.

“There was no contention that they had to force or restrain the accused to follow them to their car to go to the police station,” read the decision.

The court added that the prosecution did not rule out the possibility that the starlet only hit the police car at the back because there was another police car in front of his vehicle.

It said one of the policemen admitted that no charge for reckless imprudence resulting in damage to government property was filed against Adecer.

It added that the pictures of the accident were not authenticated and that no other witnesses were presented to support the police’s version of events.

“While it might be possible that the accused indeed hit the police car, it could be when he realized that he was being blocked in front that he tried to back-up, and not because he was defying the orders of the policemen,” read the decision.

This was the only case filed against Adecer. The MMDA personnel forgave him, so he was no longer indicted for reckless imprudence in connection with the hit-and-run incident.

Adecer apologized following the incident, saying: “I would like to apologize to all the persons who had been adversely affected by this incident. I have apologized to the police authorities and have explained to them that disobeying them was not my intention at all.”

He said his actions were borne out of “mixed fear and confusion on my part.”

He was already starring as the second lead in the primetime soap opera “Sahaya” at the time, but the incident did not affect his appearance.

Copyright © 2019 Abogado - Latest News in the Philippines