Jun 23, 2020 @ 12:48

DOJ identifies, locates netizen in rape threat against Sharon’s daugher

The Department of Justice-Office of the Cybercrime has already identified and located the exact whereabouts of the netizen who sexually threatened Frankie Pangilinan who initiated the hugely-popular ‘HijaAko’ movement.

Justice Undersecretary Markk Perete revealed this on Tuesday morning even as the National Bureau of Investigation – an attached agency of the DOJ – has already started its own probe.

Furthermore, Perete claimed that the extradition of the netizen concerned is possible with reports saying that he’s currently somewhere in the United Kingdom.

“The DOJ-Office of Cybercrime has ascertained the identity and location of the person who allegedly threatened Frankie Pangilinan. It has also made a request for Facebook to preserve the content of the account pending the filing of the complaint by the offended party. Should a complaint be filed, law enforcers may apply for a warrant to disclose computer data and a request for extradition, if warranted, may be made, ” Perete said.

NBI Cybercrime Division Chief Victor Lorenzo recently said that the netizen may face charges of unjust vexation in relation to the Cybercrime Prevention Act. The offense has a maximum prison term of 12 years.

Frankie Pangilinan trended on social media last week when she rebutted television host Ben Tulfo’s victim-blaming remarks on rape victims.

Tulfo even addressed her as “hija” in his tweet, which Frankie responded with a hashtag #HijaAko and backed by many netizens.

Frankie has also been active in tweeting her displeasure over the Anti-Terrorism Bill and support to Rappler boss Maria Ressa, who was convicted of cyber libel charges last Monday.

Hashtag #HijaAko now has over 20,000 tweets mostly from netizens condemning Tulfo’s victim-blaming remarks, with others opting to share their own experiences of sexual harassment. #

Copyright © 2020 Abogado - Latest News in the Philippines