BI bars Canadian convict from entering PH
MANILA — The Bureau of Immigration (BI) has barred a 32-year-old Canadian convicted of manslaughter from entering the country last week, an official said Friday.
Port Operations Division chief Grifton Medina said Imad Hermiz, who was intercepted February 12 upon his arrival at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) terminal 1, for failure to explain his purpose in visiting the Philippines, to give his detailed travel itinerary and the place where he would stay.
“He seemed very suspicious, as he claimed that he will attend a religious activity in Davao City, but could not provide details for said visit. Inconsistencies in his statements were very apparent,” Medina said in a statement.
Hermiz was excluded for being a public charge and deemed as possible threat to public security, the BI added.
Investigation revealed that the foreigner had previously pleaded guilty to manslaughter before a Canadian court in February 2007 after admitting he stabbed to death a fellow Canadian at a Toronto hotel on March 2005 during a party.
Hermiz was reportedly released on parole but the privilege was allegedly revoked after authorities learned that he had been peddling illegal drugs while he was out of prison.
The BI has placed the Canadian on the blacklist of undesirable aliens to prevent him from entering the Philippines. (PNA)